According to statistics released by the American Refractive Surgery Council, the popularity of laser eye surgery is surging – the number of procedures in the US alone was over 843,000 in 2018. This represents a 6.2% increase over 2017!
In this article, we examine why people are turning to laser procedures in ever increasing numbers.
Having now been an established medical procedure for close to 30 years, laser eye surgery has numerous scientific studies that demonstrate its effectiveness and safety. This undoubtedly gives prospective patients more confidence when considering their vision correction options.
A recent analysis “Modern LASIK Outcomes: A Review” looked at 97 high-quality studies that combined represented 67,893 laser procedures. They found that results were highly positive in terms of both safety and patient satisfaction.
- Patient satisfaction rates of up to 98%
- Almost 100% of patients achieving 20/40 vision, with more than 90% achieving 20/20 vision
In addition, separate research by the FDA reveals excellent feedback regarding dry eyes, which can sometimes be a side effect of laser eye surgery. They found that 59% of patients with dry eye symptoms before surgery, reported having NO SYMPTOMS 3-months after LASIK!
Recent years have seen the increasing adoption of femtosecond laser technology to create a truly bladeless laser procedure. This change has also improved the speed of surgery to just a few minutes for each eye.
In terms of LASIK, the cornea is reshaped to enable light entering the eye to be properly focused onto the retina.
This is a two-step process:
- A thin circular flap is made in the the cornea. This is performed using either a microkeratome or femtosecond laser. The flap is then gently lifted to reveal the surface where vision correction treatment can take place.
- An excimer laser removes tissue which is creating the vision problems. The flap is then laid back in place to naturally heal.
Most patients notice vision improvement quickly – usually within a few hours after surgery.
Previously, some clinics used a blade to create the corneal flap, but the increasing use of lasers in both steps of the LASIK procedure is perhaps another reason why patient numbers are rising.
Quality Surgery In The UK
When looking for a laser eye surgery provider here in the UK, it is important to seek out a clinic that utilises both the latest technologies and has a great safety record.
At AVC, we offer blade-free Intralase Advanced Wavefront LASIK costing from just £33.59 per eye per month on our interest free finance scheme.
This is known as our Gold Standard Laser Package, and includes:
- A fully comprehensive consultation with AVC’s expert team – including essential eye tests, health checks, dilation, biometry and topographic mapping.
- A personalised treatment plan tailored to your visual and lifestyle needs.
- Treatment with the safest and fastest treating laser in the world; The Bausch and Lomb Technolas Teneo 317 M2.
- All inclusive 12 month aftercare program.
- 24-hour post treatment telephone access to AVC’s expert team.
- All post-operative medication is provided for 1 month after surgery.
- Laser fine tuning (if necessary) is included for 12 months.
- Access to the UK’s largest independent optometrist network for post-operative care.
Interested? Head over to our Laser Eye Surgery page and book your Free Consultation today.